‘Sonic’ sequel has record-breaking weekend opening for a video game movie
Paramount’s “Sonic the Hedgehog 2” grossed $71 million at the domestic box office this weekend, beating its predecessor – the first “Sonic the Hedgehog” movie of 2020 – as the best debut video game film in the world. ‘story.
Why is it important: Movies adapted from video games aren’t usually box office winners, but momentum is slowly starting to build around the genre as families return to the movies.
- “There’s no better proof of families returning to theaters than a much better-than-expected first opening weekend for ‘Sonic 2,'” Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst at Comscore, told Axios.
- “The ‘Lightyear’ and ‘Minions’ teams should rest tonight,” he said, referring to the upcoming two spin-off films from the ‘Toy Story’ and ‘Despicable Me’ franchises.
Details: Paramount’s latest Sonic hit exceeded analysts’ expectations, grossing $108 million worldwide in its opening weekend.
- Last month, Sony’s “Uncharted” also exceeded its weekend opening expectations, despite mixed reviews, Axios reported.
- The first “Sonic the Hedgehog” movie debuted on Presidents Day weekend in early 2020, just before pandemic shutdowns began shutting down theaters nationwide. This film earned $58 million at the domestic box office over the three-day holiday weekend.
- More and more video games are adapted for cinema and television. This year, Netflix released the second season of “The Witcher” and Paramount+ launched a series based on the “Halo” game franchise. A “Super Mario Bros.” the film is expected later this year.
The big picture: Video game adaptations and other genres, such as romantic comedies, have done surprisingly well in theaters so far this year.
- This may be the year audiences will “reembrace” the genres that “define their formative cinematic experiences” as more people return to the movies, Dergarabedian said.